Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Meaning of Christmas:A Short Story

I haven't written fiction in a long time. Upon applying for scholarships, I decided to take a gander at writing a piece, addressing issues that seniors face. Inspired by the giving I witnessed last Christmas with Elf Anonymous, I addressed how I imagine the holiday might be seen through a senior's eyes.
________________________________________________

The Meaning of Christmas

It’s Christmas again. Just another day. I have no major plans. I don’t know why there’s so much hype about a holiday like this. It’s so much work, and for what? To have it dwindle away to nothing for the remainder of the year?

Susan became my inspiration for Christmas. Motherhood was so rich to me. When Susan would get excited, it was as though the golden flecks in her brown eyes would glow brighter. My Susan, she used to love Christmas. She would idolize me at Christmas time. I became her knight in shining armour, the star she’d wish upon at night. For one week, I was priority over the neighbourhood children. We baked cookies. We built snowmen. We decorated. It was a great time of year.

Christmas became my project. Many of my projects – the wool pants I knitted, the jars of jam I attempted to sell at the farmer’s markets, the parent’s committee I formed – all floundered. Christmas stayed. I created traditions. I built that foundation that continued for a lifetime. Two days spent on shortbread cookies, colouring dough with food dye, and using our hands to mold cookies like playdough for what cookie cutters couldn’t handle – fireplaces, snowshoes, and igloos. An affectionately named “snow day”, building snowmen, making snow angels, tobogganing, making tire d'érable, and sipping hot chocolate. Staying up late Christmas Eve, trying to shoo Susan to bed, so that Santa could make his appearance. Long after  Susan stopped believing in Santa, I continued to take a bite off a cookie and leave a note for her to find in the morning. It was her favourite part, even at eighteen years old. It was our little tradition.

Susan started dating at 16. Her boyfriends always liked my traditions more than their own family Christmases. They started to become a part of our celebration. One boyfriend, when Sus…my daughter turned eighteen, they became serious. He would help my husband Ron chop down a beautiful evergreen for the Christmas tree. He’d go on the ladder to hang the lights. I became fond of that boyfriend.

Sus… my daughter, she started to get busy. She got married to that boyfriend who helped chop down the trees, and moved out to the country side. There was still Christmas and birthdays. “Mom, I’ll come to bake shortbread”, she’d say, and we’d bake shortbread over her four day visit. One winter, we got silly and made snow angels in the back yard. She bought me flowers for my birthdays. A tradition she started. Christmas stayed more or less the same. It kept its foundation from all those years ago.

My daughter had her own daughter one day. Maddie was such a joy. My traditions were appreciated twice as much – albeit it with more presents under the tree thoseyears. My daughter started to miss my birthdays. I could make do without the flowers. Christmas stayed. Those traditions were exciting for Mad. “For the grandchild”, my daughter would say. “We’ll make a visit for that girl with the curly blonde hair.” I only saw them once a year, but it was the best time of the year.

Ron died. We had been married for 62 years. I decided to downsize to an apartment. I didn’t need the nurses on sight, but my daughter told me it would be good for later. A frame of Ron’s vows from our wedding day stays above my bed. “I’ll always support you and your projects”, he had said.

Christmas became harder. I didn’t have a stove, and there wasn’t anywhere for a tree. There wouldn’t be room for presents. That woman with the golden flecks in her brown eyes brought me to her house to see the child with the curly blonde hair. She’d try to get me to make shapes out of coloured dough for something called shortbread. “It’s like playdough!” The child would tell me. I didn’t like that tradition.

Last winter, a woman called and said “I don’t think I can bring you over this weekend. The highway driving is terrible.” I told her I thought she had the wrong number. That woman with the golden flecks in her brown eyes never came on Christmas morning. I wonder if she got lost. I ate turkey with my friends here at my home instead.

“No visitors today?” Nurse Rickman asked this morning during breakfast.

“I never have any.”

I don’t know who would have visited me today. Was I expecting somebody? Why would she ask me that?

It’s not like today is a special holiday, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment