Wednesday, December 7, 2016

My Recent Fascination with Blind Cooking

I go in cycles when it comes to my eating habits. For a while, I'll keep up with the cooking, and be really excited about something I've taken to - like baking a lot of cakes, or playing with protein intake. After a while, though, I start to become bored with my cooking habits. Cooking has only been fun from a creative perspective to me. Recently, I've found a way to become creative with cooking that seems sustainable:

Blind Cooking

I've started to use Sustainable Produce Urban Delivery
(SPUD) after about a year since the last time I made an order through this local company. This time, I've changed my methods, and decided to sign up for the "surprise box", as I call it. I order a "salad kit" or the "vegan assortment" in which SPUD decides what you get, by packing a box full of whatever surplus veggies they have at
the time. I go into my cooking blind, unsure of what ingredients I'll have in stock each week. It forces me to be creative, to search for new recipes, and best of all, it makes me actually eat a copious amount of vegetables and fruits. I can't waste the ingredients (shopping local and organically is slightly more expensive, but I feel infinitely better about my meal choices). I have to look at what's in my fridge and figure out the best way to use up the veggies that aren't going to last as long. I'm especially happy that it makes me eat things I normally don't even look at in the grocery store (parsnips?!) because I have no idea how to incorporate them into my diet.

Tip of the Day: add some more creativity into your kitchen, and you'll want to spend more time there.



No comments:

Post a Comment