Monday, February 1, 2016

If Not Me, Then Who?

Sometimes I take pride in the fact that I put in a lot of effort to see very few, or unrecognizable results. Yes, I actually enjoy the fact that I spend hours passionately working towards what I believe in, only to see that so few other people are passionate about those things, and that so little is getting done in something I thought could become big overnight.

Why would I even enjoy that? My answer is simple:

It proves my worth.

If I'm not doing these things, then who else will? Clearly, if I'm the only one standing at the sidelines promoting something that I feel needs improvement, nobody else was going to step up to the task.

I used to wait around for something to happen. I used to think "oh, somebody else will start it, and I can just join on". But the fact is that everyone else is waiting for things to start, too. Everyone else is waiting to join somebody. Nobody wants to initiate for fear of failure.

Failure only means that there's a stronger need for people like you.

In September of 2015, I did something I had wanted to do since high school. I initiated a program called Elf Anonymous. I wanted to make a difference in senior's lives, and to give them a Christmas party when they didn't get visitors anymore. I kept thinking nobody else would be interested. I thought I'd be the only one who thought it was worth their time. After several moments of trying to encourage a group of strangers to have a sense of community through my volunteerism in my community league, I had given up on anybody thinking my ideas were great.

But then something happened. I had an outpouring of strangers asking to be involved. The senior homes I partnered with were eternally grateful for my inquiry into helping them. I had to turn away volunteers because I had too many.

I realized there are people like me. They might just be harder to find.

I have been volunteering with The Greater Edmonton Animal Rescue Society since the summer of 2015, mostly from my computer as a blogger. The animal rescue was not my idea - that was one of those "let someone else create it" moments. But the desire to do good things for the world has always been a personal trait of mine. I am starting to realize where I am needed more and more. There is always an animal needing a loving hand. There is always more for me to do. I should never give up on the fact that maybe most people won't want to do these jobs, or be on board with my ideas. I should take solice in the fact that there are a few diamond in the roughs who do want these jobs, and will support me when I take them on.

There's always room for you. If not you, then who?

3 comments: